To quote the immortal Bob Ross, “everybody needs a friend,” which is why I put my Garfield monstrosity together with a companion piece. These were the only two Death Guard models on my tray so I did them up as a group, and they were a relatively quick build that gave me a nice break and breather from working on my Sisters of Battle. This model is just a run-of-the-mill finecast Daemon Prince of Nurgle which I got second hand. I put it on a nice, fancy custom base and gave him a Jon-Arbuckle-esque toupee. The hair didn’t quite turn out as immediately identifiable as I’d hoped, and I jammed a set of pliers into my thumb building the base, but other than that I’m actually very happy with how this turned out.
In fact, with respect to this model I think I’m happiest with how the basing turned out – adding some leftover skulls from my Sector Imperialis bases was something I did on a whim but I think it turned out nicely, and the bubbles just ended up being broken up plastic pellets for a pellet gun and little bits of leftover green stuff. I think this might become my new “standard” for doing larger Death Guard character models, since it really conveys just such a Nurgly, sludgy mess.
Now, with that said, I think this might have been pushing the limits of what I can do with my usual Death Guard painting method involving sponges. For most of my models it’s worked just fine up to this point but I think the sheer volume of fleshy bits and the deep indents in the back of the armor might have benefitted from the use of a different method. It matches my army and I’m pretty happy with it, but I think if and when I get a hold of Typhus (or god forbid, Mortarion) I might have to change things up just a little or find a way to account for some of the areas that will be harder to reach in crevices, without overcomplicating the paint method or scheme. But…that is tomorrow’s problem, for tomorrow’s me.